New Year, New Plan

    After ending my 2013 racing season on a bit of a high note, I was extra excited to get a jump on my training for 2013. I didn’t have much of an offseason. It was only a month-or-so in total. However, I thoroughly enjoyed some time away from my more focused training. I swam to have fun with my teammates. I biked to enjoy just getting outside during some cooler Florida weather. And, I didn’t run once...I never even picked up my sneakers from my shoe stand.

    However, come Christmas, it was time to take what I learned from 2012 and figure out how I was going to approach 2013. I had some good races at the tail-end of last season. But, there were also some major problems in my performances that desperately need to be fixed. So, I thought about how I trained, tried to be realistic about my analysis of my training, and came up with two resolutions for the new year:
  1. I would seek training workout guidance from an outside source 
  2. I would keep up on my running throughout the season
    In regards to Resolution #1, I can honestly say that I put in as much time and effort last season as I could probably handle. However, as seen in my performance results, this was not good enough. Yes I’m limited on the amount of time I can train since I do have a full-time job. But, I don’t think that I can really improve my performance any more without some coached help. Up until now, I’ve been exclusively trained by myself in all three sports.

    After years of swimming, I think that I have a pretty good understanding of how to generally shape workouts. However, having never been a runner or cyclist, I’m pretty limited on how to include variety or specified training. So, I decided that I needed outside help.

    The first step was in joining a Master’s Swim Team. Although I didn’t need the help creating or completing the workouts, I decided that I needed the “push” in pacing that can only be had by swimming with others. At recent workouts my 100 LCM pace times have steadily decreased to slightly –above my college pace times. There is NO WAY I could’ve been able to do this by training solo.

    My next step was to look for some coaching guidance online or in the area. However, I’m very financially limited and just can’t afford another large monthly expense. So, I applied to win a free year of coaching from a well-known coach online. Although I wound up being a finalist, I didn’t actually win the prize. So, I did some research, asked around a bit, and wound up purchasing a Training Plan book on my tablet. I’ve heard pretty good things about these training plans. So, after reading through much of the book, I picked a specific Ironman Training Plan and intend to stick with it as much as possible. So far, I’m doing pretty well with keeping up with the plan’s demands.

    I know that a standard plan is not as good as personal coaching. I also know that there is a possibility that the plan might not even work for me at all. But, since I felt so stagnant in my training, I think it’s worth a shot. And presently, I’m feeling pretty strong and not yet over-trained. Here is to hoping the plan is a success!

    In regards to Resolution #2, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that I really missed the boat last year in my run training. Prior to getting my job in May, I was doing pretty well with keeping up my mileage. But, as the mileage was supposed to increase, I got lazier with my running. I planned most of my running workouts for the mornings. However, I slept through half of these workouts since running doesn’t motivate me out of bed the same way swimming does. So, this year is going to be different. Now that I’ve joined my USMS Team, I am able to have better morning pool access. Thus, all my swimming workouts will now be done in the morning and my running workouts will be done at night.

    Hopefully this will allow me to keep up on the run training a bit better. Additionally, now that I have an actual training plan which requires that I run certain workout an “X” number of times per week, I feel a bit more obligated to keep it up. Essentially, I’m more than willing to admit that if it were up to me, I’d never go running. Last year it WAS 100% up to me. So, I really never went running. But, this year it’s not entirely up to me. And hopefully that will be enough to keep me motivated. So far, I’m doing extremely well with it.

1 comment:

  1. Morning, glade to hear your motivated about this new year. I am wondering if you were going to do any half IM.? I would like to know your race schedule, just looking for new races to join. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete