RACE REPORT: Plantation Piranhas Invitational Swim Meet

     Since I am a BIG Fan on swimming long course (50 Meters), I decided to enter a Masters Swim meet where I’d have the chance to race Long Course as opposed to racing Short Course Yards. So, this past weekend I competed in my Second Masters Swim Meet taking place at the beautiful facilities of the Plantation Piranhas swim team. And in all, I had a great time, won all my events, and walked away with some great times and present United States Masters Swimming National Top-10 placement in all my events.

     Even though Triathlon is now my main sport, this will definitely not be my last masters swim meet. Now that I’ve turned my triathlon focus to longer events (Half-Iron and Iron distances), I can’t do as many races per season like I used to do (for both physical and financial reasons.) And with my races so spread out, and with my training time at an all-time high, it’s hard to keep the motivation week after week, mile after mile, without that frequent reminder of just how much I love to compete.

    But, I think that the addition of swim meets into my year-long racing schedule will be a great way for me to stay more involved with the sport I love while also keeping me motivated about my athletic progress. Other triathletes like to enter pure running races both during triathlon season and in the off-season just to stay focused and to aid in training. In past years, I’ve done the same. But, with the progress I see in my swimming and my re-established excitement with the sport, I plan on adding a few swim meets into the mix this coming year as well.


MEET RECAP:

    I swam SEVEN events over the past 2 days. My main reason for doing this swim meet was to get the opportunity to swim the mile (1500m Freestyle). Even though I wound up with a time that currently ranks me 2nd in my Age Group in the country, my pacing was very poor and I didn’t find my ‘groove’ until at least 500m into the race. This is quite evident by my splits which steadily decreased as the race went on.

    What I learned from the mile (and from pretty much every other race) was this… I need to rely more on my training. I am in GREAT shape and can’t be afraid to go out hard because, with the amount of training I’m doing for my Ironman, my body WILL rise to the occasion. I never hit that “wall” in any of my races this past weekend. So what does that mean? It means that I could’ve gone harder. In a swim meet, I shouldn’t be able to touch the wall at the end of a mile race and feel like I could keep going. The work has been done, my training is in the bank, but I need to race like I know it’s there to support me.

   
For example, I swam the 100 Freestyle just for fun on Sunday. I had no expectations for this race and was never a very strong sprint freestyler. The way you swim a race like this is basically to dive in and move your arms as fast as possible. And, that’s what I did. Now normally, as I’ve experienced many times in college, I’d hit the dreaded ‘wall’ about 15meters out from the finish and my arms would cramp so badly I could barely move them. But for the first time, I never hit that ‘wall.’ I finished strong and with one of my best ever 100 Freestyle times. I went out hard and my training was there to back it up. I only wish I had done this in all of my races.


No comments:

Post a Comment