Key Biscayne Car Safety

      As everyone knows, biking in Miami can be extremely dangerous. Drivers are terrible and have no respect for bikers, pedestrians, or even other drivers. Unless I'm out my front door by 5:30 in the morning and home by rush hour, I usually throw my bike in the back of my car and drive to Key Biscayne to ride.  
      Yesterday morning, around 7am, I headed towards Key Biscayne for a nice long ride. I used to park my car in the Museum of Science parking lot until I heard that there had been some break-ins there. So for the past few weeks I've been parking my car outside Alice Wainwright Park at 2845 Brickell Ave (hidden to the right near the entrance of Key Biscayne).  I figured this area is a little bit safer since I frequently see a patrol car parked outside the park. And, the area is the usual workout launching ground  for MANY of Miami's bikers and runners so there is usually a lot of people nearby. 
      I parked my car next to several others outside the park, took out my bike and left on a nice 40mi ride (well, it would have been nice had the wind not been so terrible).  I originally intended to bike a bit further but since the wind was so strong, I headed back to my car around 10am with the intention of doing a short run.  As I pulled up to my car I noticed that the back passenger-side vent window (that little triangular-shaped window behind the back seat roll-down window) had been smashed. My car had been broken into.
Miami CSI van parked beside my car
     I propped my bike up against the car to go and see what the thieves had stolen. Because I had my entire purse stolen from a car last year, I now always take all my credit cards and IDs out with me in my saddle bag when I ride. So at least I knew, when I went to check the damage, that both my identity and money were safe. 
     I looked into the car. My sneakers were still lying on the floor beside my work shoes. My bottle of endurox was still sitting in my cup holder. So what did they take? 
They took my Coach wristlet with nothing but my house key, my mail key, a single dollar bill, and a few advil inside. They also took my new TYR swim backpack containing my compression leg sleeves, a bottle of Bayer, pull bouy, paddles, fins, cap and goggles. In all, the things stolen meant way more to me than it ever would to the thief. I'm sure they weren't thrilled to have bothered to bust my window only to receive a mess of swim gear and an empty purse.  However, I wasn't all too happy that I now had to replace all my swim gear that I've had since college. 
     Just as I called my boyfriend to let him know that my house key was stolen, I saw a cop car driving by which I flagged down to file a police report. I told the cops that I parked near here because I knew there was better security here than elsewhere (as evidence by the fact that a police cruiser was driving by right when I found my car).  The cops told me that a cruiser is parked outside the park every night and all day on weekends.   However, the rich people who lived nearby don't want to pay for surveillance during the week and that is why there has been a spike in break-ins.  So, thank you rich people!!!
     I filed my police report and the CSI unit came to fingerprint my car in hopes that the police can figure out if it's the same person who has been breaking into cars (I seriously doubt they'll find that person).  When I got home I called the Gator Glass to get an estimate on fixing my window...$120!! Yes, replacement would have been free had my windshield been smashed. But no, the thieves had to break the most expensive window in my car to fix.  I also had to go online to Swim Outlet to order all new gear. The total? $76.  Sadly I still have to replace my Coach clutch.  But,  it was my late Grandmother's.  So even if I buy a new one, it can never really be replaced.  
     This morning I decided to call the Key Biscayne and Miami Dade Police departments to see if they could suggest any safer areas or or near the Key for us bikers to park. The Key Biscayne Police department told me that their jurisdiction extends only to the edge of the actual town so I would need to call the Miami Dade Police. 
     A few minutes later I called the Miami Dade Police Department headquarters. "I got my car broken into yesterday and was wondering if there were any areas safer to park near the Key" I asked the responding police officer. "No" he told me with a chuckle, "It's a toss up wherever you go." Way to be helpful Miami Dade Police!!! 


So, What should you learn from all this? 
  1. Before leaving your car, ask yourself "If anything in here is stolen, will it be THAT big of a deal?" If the answer is "NO" then you can leave your car in peace.
  2. Is anything clearly visible, even if not valuable, that could attract a thief? If yes, then move it to the trunk. (But, make sure that nobody sees you put it in there!)
  3. Take all you credit cards and Ids with you
  4. Only do Brick workouts from home or from a COMPLETELY SECURED transition area.  The last thing you want is to have your bike stolen!
  5. Do not park at Alice Wainwright Park unless it's on a weekend when a Police Cruiser is parked nearby (and even then, be careful). 

AND FINALLY....
(because my original intention on writing this post was to provide my fellow bikers some guidance on where to park)

6.  Miami Dade Police ultimately doesn't care if somebody breaks into your car and they seem to have no intention of making parking near the Key any safer.  So good luck because you're ON YOUR OWN!


1 comment:

  1. Great article, now I know more about windshields. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete